Changes confirmed by Government
ACC will implement the Ride Forever rebate programme with consideration to be given to the feedback received during consultation in the final design of the programme. The Road Injury Prevention team have begun proactive engagement with submitters and the motorcycle community on the final design of the rebate.
The final rebate will be announced to the public in early 2019.
More information on all the decisions
Our recommendations to the Minister
What we asked
We asked you about our proposal for the 2019 to 2021 levy period to offer a rebate to motorcyclists in exchange for completing a Ride Forever Gold course
What you told us
The Ride Forever rebate has been the most popular proposal, comprising almost a third of submissions received.
- Almost all feedback received on this proposal is in favour of the rebate, although many submitters are suggesting additional changes or improvements
- Some submitters suggested lowering the 10-year licence minimum to qualify for the rebate
- Some also want the eligibility criteria to include lower-level Ride Forever courses, eg Bronze and Silver, or the value of the rebate increased
- A small number of submitters opposed the rebate, stating that motorcyclists are already being subsidised by other motor vehicles, and the rebate amounts to a higher subsidy.
The ACC Board recommends:
- Implementing the Ride Forever rebate programme with consideration to be given to the feedback received during consultation in the final design of the programme.
The Road Injury Prevention team will be doing proactive engagement with submitters and the motorcycle community in response to the feedback received on the rebate during the consultation, and in the final design of the rebate.
If you’d like to be involved in these ongoing discussions and haven’t indicated you’d like to be kept up to date on shapeyouracc.co.nz, email us. We'll update you on the launch of the programme in 2019.
Our original proposal
How the rebate could work
From 1 July 2019, we’ll offer experienced riders a $100 rebate in exchange for taking part in the Ride Forever coaching programme.
Process to get the rebate
If you want more detail on this topic and the thinking behind what we’re proposing read our full consultation document.